Art and DT
Subject Leader- Miss Clarke
Design and Technology
At St Aidan’s C.E Primary School we value providing opportunities for children to explore their imagination, generate ideas, acquire skills, apply judgements and rejoice in their learning.
Our intentions are to meet the requirements of the National Curriculum in each year group by providing an engaging and inclusive curriculum for every child. We hold a responsibility in delivering a broad-balanced curriculum that develops high aspirations and enables the children to reach their full potential and experience success.
We wish to foster originality and creativity using art and design and technology as a means of communication. Innovation and sensitivity to personal feelings and attitudes will fill the school environment.
The aims of teaching art in our school are;
- To develop the ability to use visual language skillfully and convincingly (for example, line, shape, pattern, colour, texture, form) to express emotions, interpret observations, convey insights and highlight their individuality
- To develop the ability to draw confidently and adventurously from observation, memory and imagination
- To develop the ability to explore and invent marks, develop and deconstruct ideas and communicate perceptively and powerfully through purposeful drawing in 2D, 3D or digital media
- To nurture an impressive knowledge and understanding of other artists, craft makers and designers
- To develop their independence, initiative and originality which they can use to develop their creativity
- To develop the ability to select and use materials, processes and techniques skillfully
- To develop the ability to reflect on, analyse and critically evaluate their own work and that of others
The aims of teaching design and technology in our school are;
- The develop an excellent attitude to learning and independent working
- To nurture the ability to use time efficiently and work constructively and productively with others
- To carry out thorough research, show initiative and ask questions to develop an exceptionally detailed knowledge of users’ needs.
- To develop the ability to act as responsible designers and makers, working ethically, using materials carefully and working safely.
- To develop passion for the subject and knowledge of, up-to-date technological innovations in materials, products and systems
We want the children to develop as critical and creative thinkers and enrich, extend and consolidate learning in a variety of contexts. Through systematic and progressive planning, we intend to encourage the children to express, explore and celebrate ideas, feelings, attitudes and values.
Art and design and technology are taught as part as half termly topics. In some cases units can be blocked together. This helps the children to delve and immerse themselves into the topic.
Throughout the art curriculum children will be given opportunities to:
- Develop knowledge, understanding and skills
- Learn about materials and techniques used by artists
- Learn about the world of art, craft and design
- Recognise achievement of artists, designers and craftspeople from many different times and cultures.
Throughout the design and technology curriculum children will be given opportunities to:
- To develop knowledge of which tools, equipment and materials to use to make their products
- To fulfil curiosity when analysing and creating a piece of work
- To be able to apply mathematical knowledge and writing skills
Our art and design and technology curriculum is planned to highlight the progression of each child. We focus on individual skills and how they are developed across the year groups. We look at skills such as:
- Observational drawing
- Use of sketchbooks within KS1 and 2
We want children to have enjoyed their learning at St Aidan’s C.E Primary school and leave with belief and confidence when showing off their creative spark.
At St Aidan's, 'Every child matters and more importantly, they know they matter!'